Tuesday, December 18, 2018

November 19 - 25, 2018 Things Change -In A Big Way

Monday rolled around as usual - and it sure is nice not to have to face work on Mondays anymore! I really don't miss work. Maybe that day will happen, but not yet! This week was Full Time Freedom Week - which I purchased a ticket to and we started listening to some of the videos. So far we have enjoyed all that we watched.  Learning Mode! Kristi and the kids arrived and we had supper at home - Baked Penne Pasta. The kids twisted our arms and made us take them to Braum's for ice cream.  Grandparents are pretty easy to convince about ice cream.
Logan & Buster watching TV

Tuesday we got up slow and after we got around the adults went to Stillwater for some Christmas shopping and Steve also went to the chiropractor for his back. Then we came home and went to La Macarena for supper.
Wednesday we didn't do a lot - just stayed here at home. We all walked down to the park and it was a nice day for that. The dogs love walking in the neighborhood! I made Hodge Podge Soup.
Our dogs are spoiled! They love to sleep on pillows!
Thursday was Thanksgiving. So all of us got around and dressed. I prepared Pink Party Salad to take to my niece's house in Bartlesville. We all loaded up in the car and over hill and dale we went. I also am the official gravy maker for Thanksgiving - so I did contribute that. We also give them some money because they buy so much stuff. Steve & I and the kids walked around the block after lunch - to try to stay alert. I drove over and Steve started the drive back, but I had to take over driving again- because he got sleepy. We didn't stay long because it gets dark so early and I can't see great after dark anymore. I can't believe I have gotten to that age. WOW! We got home in time to catch the last half of the Dallas vs Washington game and Dallas won!

Friday shortly after Steve and I got up, I received a phone call. It was from the nursing home where my sister Nancy lives. Gina, the head nurse said, "I'm Sorry to tell you this, but Nancy had a cardiac arrest at 7:54 and passed away at 8:23 AM after a full code with epi and bicarb. She did not have any arrhythmia". I was totally shocked and saddened. She had been doing so good. I could barely stutter. This was so unexpected. She was 68 years old - only 5 years older than me.  My sister Pam, who lives in Enid had talked to the nursing home the night before and they said Nancy was doing fine. Then I called Pam & Marsha and told them this horrible news.  We made a flurry of calls to start making arrangements for her cremation and funeral service. I called the nursing home back and asked them to lock up her valuable items. This happened and we were all shocked to say the least. I was planning to return to see her the next day - Saturday. I spoke with the funeral home and discussed how to handle the cremation (direct cremation) and made some preliminary arrangements. Marsha, my sister in South Carolina made plans to fly out. It was crazy and sad.

Saturday we got up about 9:00 and Steve & I went to Enid so Pam and I could write the obituary and make plans. My body was slow, still in disbelief. Kristi & the kids were leaving, so we all left about the same time - 12:15 or so. Pam & I figured out several things and confirmed plans. This was just not something we expected. Nancy was so sick last year at this time - but she pulled out of it. This fall she had been doing better. This just reinforces what we all know:  We do not know the time and place.


                                               Book from my Mom that has important family dates


Sunday, we were up about 7:30 and had breakfast. I was in a daze somewhat. We did laundry and watched TV. I was sad this afternoon. I talked to my other sisters and just tried to let this reality soak in.

No comments:

Post a Comment