Monday, October 8, 2018

September 17, 2018 Monday - Into Yellowstone

We walked first thing this morning (after waiting for a little warm-up 30 degrees this morning) and then headed into West Yellowstone (the town). We stopped at the hardware store to get a new light bulb for the RV and while Steve was in there - I got a reservation for Tuesday night in town.  We wanted to take showers after our forest time.  Then we started our drive into Yellowstone National Park.  We got the the entrance pretty quick, using my National Parks Pass, and made pretty good progress for awhile.


a wee bit of fall color


Masssive Mountain














Then the traffic started slowing down to a crawl! We could not see anything that would hold us up.  So we just kept plodding along, moving when the line moved - then we saw the elk! They were  right by the road near the river. They looked awesome.
                                         




Finally the line started moving a bit. We stopped to use the restroom at Madison picnic area. The parking lot and bathrooms were very busy.  I have heard for the last few years to go to Yellowstone and other popular parks after Labor Day because the crowds thin out. I do not think this is true. There were tons of people everywhere.
We moved on after that and got into another slow line of traffic. This time it was Bison. There was a pretty sizable herd hanging out. So we just went with the flow. If you go to Yellowstone - you must be patient. It is very slow going.









The sign says: Mary's Mountain! I'll take it!












My goal this visit was to see Grand Prismatic Spring. I've never seen it in person, only pictures.  Well that is another thing that got cancelled! The parking lot and both sides of the road were packed! No way to get in there. So I will visit again at another time and hopefully arrive earlier in the day.  The next time I visit will be in late May or early June or later in September.  Maybe I should visit in winter! LOL I would probably freeze!
Old Faithful Inn (back side)


People looking at Elk
We saw these elk on our way out of the park!



Our next stop was the Old Faithful visitor center. I wanted to pick up some souvenirs. Well same story - it was packed! I almost gave up on that, but we went around the circle to the back side and I went in another gift shop and got a few things.  After that we were ready to go back to the RV.  I fixed us a skillet supper of cubed potatoes,  leftover steak bites, and scrambled eggs topped with cheese and it was good. We walked some more and called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment