Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Friday, March 13, 2020 Fort Davis

Today we got around and about 9:30 we left the RV and went to the Fort Davis Historical Site. This fort is huge and the buildings you tour are spread out all over. First we started at the Visitor Center/Museum. I showed them my Old Geezer Pass and we got in free! A family of four paid $20 I think. Next we toured some of the soldiers' quarter and then the hospital. By then we were a little tired of walking and touring so we went back to the RV.
We have also been discussing and wondering if the FMCA RV Rally is going to be held. Lots of things are shutting down or being cancelled because of the COVID-19 virus that has arrived with a bang. First NBA games, Big 12 BB Tournament, March Madness and on and on. I had even seen that the Mayor of Tucson was cancelling gatherings of 50 or more people. Also most of these people that attend RV rallies are of an age that is a concern. On the suggestion of my sister Marsha, I called FMCA and the lady told me that were having a Board meeting at that very time to discuss cancellation or continuance, that was at 3:30 PM Mountain Time. I received a cancellation text at 4:45 PM Mountain Time. We registered for the Rally back on Jan 13, 2020 and it got cancelled today, March 13, 2020, exactly two months later. Well this was rather disappointing, but at least we knew we would not be going to the Rally. Our current strategy was to continue to Carlsbad Caverns and meet up with the kids for a few days then go home.

Fort Davis Courthouse
Courthouse named after Jefferson Davis (I think)

Pictures from Fort Davis Historical Site

 
 After hearing the bad news from FMCA - we decided to visit Davis Mountains State Park. We took the dogs along and had a nice drive and a hike. We checked out the campgrounds and just enjoyed looking around.


Compelling Rock formation

Lodge

Amphitheater at Park

Fauna

Interesting view

Lodge at the Park - from the high point

Lodge

Big views!

Benchmark at the Summit of the mountain- You can drive there - no hiking required. Or you can hike if you want.


We enjoyed taking a walk from the nature center parking lot up to the amphitheater. The dogs thought they were on a great adventure!


PS - I can't get this to Left Justify again, and I have no idea why it decided to underline my sentence above and it won't let me take off the underline. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment