Friday, June 23, 2017

Father's Day - Niobrara State Park June 18, 2017 Sunday and Travel Day - Monday June 19, 2017

It was a lovely morning-we walked and bought firewood. It started warming up so we returned to the RV. We drove to Verdigre, NE down the road about 14 miles - because I saw a sign about the Lewis & Clark Trail and also a sign about Mormon Trail Ruts. We didn't find them-saw the Lewis & Clark trail sign but there was nothing specific related to it there. We could not find the Mormon Trail Ruts. So back to the RV. We had a nice campfire and I made Hamburgers and potatoes on the fire. In celebration of Father's Day we enjoyed S'mores. It was a very pleasant, cool evening to sit out by the campfire!
We got up in pretty good time and hooked up the pickup, cleaned our tanks and headed north by west again. We were on the Outlaw Trail part of the way.
After about two hours I started driving again at Dixon, SD and drove about 2 hours until we got to Murdo, SD where we got gas and had lunch at Pilot/Subway. Part of the drive was on I-90 and the speed limit is 80 mph - I was driving 58 mph in an 80 mph zone - I did not pass anyone. I even drove through a construction zone. We kept seeing these fire trucks beside billboards - they were advertising The Firehouse Brewpub. They were great attention getters and I wish I would have taken a picture of every one of them.
I had called Badlands NP to try to camp inside the park - but no room -You have to reserve a spot 72 hours in advance or come in and take your chances. They suggested a sister company - Circle 10 RV Park at Kadoka, SD (Interior, SD). We stayed here 2 nights at $33 per nite. AARP discount allowed us to have $5 per day discount. After getting our utilities hooked up we relaxed a bit. Then we disconnected the pickup and dove into Badlands NP.
There is a buffalo or two in the last picture. I drove the scenic loop through the park--it is very interesting scenery. We saw Bighorn Sheep, Prairie Dogs and Buffalo! Nice! We drove back to the RV on I-90 at 80 mph. For supper we ate Jimmy Dean Frittatas (frozen delights) from the handy microwave in the RV.

No comments:

Post a Comment