Thursday, August 18, 2016

August 18, 2016 Thursday - Sightseeing, Drive to TenSleep, WY and wildlife

Today we got a fairly decent start and headed west on WY 16 after we filled the pickup and got some lunch supplies. I drove so Steve could relax. We had a very cool day with rain, mist and more of the same. 

 Shortly after getting out of town we saw a female mule deer and 1 or 2 young ones with her. It scared me - I was afraid I was going to hit them. But they didn't jump out in front of us. We stopped at a forest campground and walked the dogs and smelled the cool, clean, pine air of the mountains. We always get such a peaceful feeling when we are in the mountains and trees. 



 Then we continued on our drive, stopping at a few pull-outs and taking some crazy curves and grades.

 I was glad we were in the pickup and not in the RV towing the pickup. That is just me though. Steve thought it would be fine in the RV and we saw lots of people in motorhomes and towing 5th wheels and other travel trailers. We even saw some folks on motorcycles in their rain gear. I always feel a little sorry for them - but I guess they are OK with it.


 We made it to TenSleep, WY - thought I would check out their museum, but it was closed - so we turned around and found a nice little place in the forest for our picnic lunch. 

After we ate, we walked the dogs again and guess what, we saw another deer.


 Then we got back to the Crazy Woman Canyon Drive. I put it in 4 WD Low to keep from going too fast- it was steep, curvy and a single lane, well-packed dirt/gravel road. 

 There was a beautiful creek, and we stopped to check that out and take some pics and did a little more walking.

 On our way out of the canyon we topped a hill and saw a bunch of Pronghorns(antelope)! I love to see these animals. 

 My phone pictures did not come out very good - but Steve should have some good ones on his camera. 

 We returned to town and went by the grocery store again. We got what we needed to fix chili, since the weather is perfect for it. It was good, if I do say so myself. They had fresh ground sausage - so we got some eggs and plan to eat that in the morning. A real treat for us. Tonight I have worked on a blog for my website-Dietitian Delivers and caught up this blog. We will head to Montana tomorrow! The weather may be cold there also-snow is predicted for the Little Belt Mountains - exactly where we are headed. Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment